Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Garlic Chilli Chicken With Cardamom Rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This has a spicy afterburn which is amazingly pleasant!
- o 1 onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- o 4 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- o 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- o 1 in piece ginger, finely grated
- o sunflower oil or peanut oil
- o 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- o 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- o 1/2 teaspoon chili powder ( more if you want more heat)
- o 4 skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- o 1 chicken stock cube
- o 4 Tomatoes, cut into chunks
- o 3 ounces spinach, roughly chopped
- o butter or oil
- o 4 cardamom pods, squashed
- o 1 cup basmati rice
- STEP 11. Cook the onion, chili peppers, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes in 2 tbsp oil. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken pieces, season and cook for 5-7 minutes until they start to colour a little. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock cube and a splash of water. Bring to a simmer, then cover for 20 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for another 10 minutes.
- STEP 22. Meanwhile, heat a large knob of butter or 1 tbsp oil in a pan with a lid. Add the cardamom pods and cook for 2 minutes, tip in the rice, add a large pinch of salt and cook for another minute. Add 2 cups of water using the same cup to measure. Bring to the boil, turn down to a gentle simmer and put on the lid. Cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Fluff up the rice and serve with the curry.