Vanilla & Raisin Biscuits
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus chilling
- Makes 20 vanilla biscuits and 20 raisin biscuits
2 different types of biscuits from one simple recipe, can easily be adapted by adding choc chips, lemon zest or anything else that takes your fancy
- 300g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g unsalted butter - diced
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Handful raisins
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- STEP 1Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Beat the egg and stir it into the dry ingredients with the vanilla extract, knead to make a smooth dough (you may need to add a tiny splash of milk if the mixture is too dry).
- STEP 2Divide the dough into 2 and knead the raisins into one half. Wrap the 2 balls of dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line 2 baking trays with baking parchment. Roll out the 2 balls of dough onto a floured surface to 5mm thick and use a 5cm cookie cutter to cut out the biscuit shapes, lay the raisin biscuits on one tray and the vanilla biscuits on the other then chill for another 10 minutes.
- STEP 4Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden, swap the trays over half way through cooking. Cool on the trays then sprinkle with the icing sugar before serving.