Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Creamy pearl barley
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
Excellent side with pork chops
- 90g butter
- 2 chopped onions
- 600g pearl barley
- 1 celeriac chopped into slices then matchsticks 2cm long
- 800ml-1l chicken or veg stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml creme fraiche
- STEP 1Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions and cook over a medium heat until they are soft and beginning to take on some colour.
- STEP 2Add the barley and celeriac, then stir-fry for two minutes. Pour in enough stock to cover by 1cm. Bring to the boil, cover the pan, then turn the heat right down and cook for 15-25 minutes. Have a peep from time to time – you may need to add a little more stock if it is becoming too dry.
- STEP 3When the barley is just tender, add the lemon juice and crème fraîche, heat for a short while and then taste. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Serve hot in small bowls, with some shaved Grana Padano and a little more crème fraîche. Make up to a day in advance.