Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Portions
An old Norwegian tradition is to eat these cream filled buns in the "fast" period. Religion plays less of a part for the fastelavnsbuns nowadays, and we use the holiday simply as an excuse to bake these tasty treats!
- 250-300 g plain flour (start with 250, then add more if the dough is too sticky)
- 50 g sugar
- 75 g flora light
- 150 ml milk (I used semi-skimmed)
- 25 g fresh yeast (or a sachet of dry yeast, not many shops in the UK sell it dry, I found some in a Polish shop!)
- 1/4 tsp hornsalt or heartshorn/ammonion bicarbonate (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
1 egg for brushing
- 1 egg for brushing
- Strawberry jam
- Whipped cream
- Sift a little bit of icing sugar on top
- STEP 1Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- STEP 2Melt the butter in a pan and add the milk. It should be body temperature 37ÃÂ°C. Mix the yeast in with about half of the egg mixture.
- STEP 3Make a well in the dry flour mix, and pour the liquid into the centre. Use a wooden spoon to blend it all together and then knead well, adding more flour if necessary. Leave the dough to rise somewhere warm for about 1 hour (I set the bowl in another bowl of hot water and covered it with a kitchen towel.
- STEP 4An hour later and you can roll out the buns. Place them on a baking paper clad baking tray and leave for at least another half hour to rise some more. Make sure you have enough space between them as they will rise quite a bit!
- STEP 5Preheat the oven to 180-200ÃÂ°C. In the meantime, crach an egg into a bowl and top each bun with some of the egg.
- STEP 6Once the oven is hot, pop in the tray (or trays) of buns in the oven and leave to bake for about 12-14 minutes. I left mine in for a few minutes too much, they should have a nice golden colour. Take them out and leave them to cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- STEP 7Cut each bun in half, spread over some jam, top with cream, place the lid over and sprinkle over some icing sugar using a sieve.
- STEP 8Enjoy!
- STEP 9At 220 calories each without the filling and topping and about 300 calories with, you can definitely treat yourself!