- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Basically it's cheese and potato pie, every one seems to think its Quiche and as apparently men dont eat quiche .. it's man quiche
For the Filling
- 6 Rashers of Lean un-smoked back bacon, cut into batons
- 150 g of Grated mature cheddar Cheese
- 1 egg
- 5 or 6 Large Desire Potatoes
- Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
- 2 Cloves of Garlic - finely chopped
- 2 Sprigs of Thyme
- Good knob of butter
- 1 Leek thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan for topping
- Grated Parmesan for topping
For the Pastry
- For the Pastry
150g of plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 76g of unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 3 Tbsps iced water
- Pinch of Salt
- 25 Cm Diameter Flan or pie dish, about 3 cm deep
- STEP 1Make the pastry
- STEP 2Sift the flour into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt
- STEP 3Add the butter.
- STEP 4Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs ( a food processor will do this in seconds)
- STEP 5Add sufficient iced water (try 2 tbsp 1st) and knead into a good dough
- STEP 6Wrap in Clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least 30 mins
- STEP 7Heat the oven to 180 degrees
- STEP 8Lightly dust a working surface and roll out the dough sufficiently to fit the bottom and the sides of the flan dish, then blind bake for 20-25 mins
- STEP 9Filling.
- STEP 10Peel the potatoes and boil until soft and ready to mash
- STEP 11Meanwhile Fry the bacon dry for a coupe of minutes and add the garlic and Leek, if the pan looks too dry add a drop of water
- STEP 12Continue gently frying until the leeks are soft and remove from the heat
- STEP 13If the Thyme stalks are woody pick the leaves throw away the stalks and chop the leaves finely. If the Thyme stalks are soft just chop the whole lot
- STEP 14When the potatoes are ready drain the water and mash as you normally would (Potato ricer is great for this)
- STEP 15Beat the egg and add to the mash with a good knob of butter and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk the mash with a fork.
- STEP 16Add in the bacon leek mixture with a good pinch of grated nutmeg and whisk again with a fork.
- STEP 17Now add the Cheese, 150g might be to cheesy so add half and taste until it suits you, stir in until all ingrediants are combined
- STEP 18Spoon the cheesy potato mixture into the pre cooked pastry case and smooth over with a rubber spatula.
- STEP 19Finely grate some Parmesan over the top
- STEP 20Place in the oven at 180 degrees for about 20 mins.
- STEP 21Eat piping hot or stone cold delicious either way