- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Bread
- 8 bacon rashers, fried and chopped
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 100g Swiss chard, blanched and finely chopped
- 420g sweetcorn kernels, drained
1/2 cup canola oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a deep loaf pan (about 19cm x 8cm x 6cm) and line with baking paper.
- STEP 2Mix bacon, flour, cheddar, Swiss chard and sweetcorn together. Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- STEP 3Whisk oil, eggs, chilli, garlic and seasoning together. Stir into dry ingredients to form a batter.
- STEP 4Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- STEP 5* Replace bacon with shredded biltong or roasted butternut chunks.