Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
A dairy and egg-free rich chocolate cake. If you want an especially rich flavour, use olive oil or a neutral oil such as rapeseed or sunflower will work a treat.
- 400g caster sugar
- 375g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 45g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 475g water
- 250ml vegetable/olive/rapeseed/sunflower
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4, then lightly grease a 20x30cm tin (alternatively use two 23cm round cake tins - just adjust baking time as necessary).
- STEP 2In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, bicarb, salt and cocoa powder.
- STEP 3Add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract, then beat the mixture for approximately 2 mins until smooth texture is achieved.
- STEP 4Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 40 mins.