Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beef, Brandy and Mushroom Stroganoff
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
A beautifully posh stroganoff that can be served with a simple jacket potato, mash or pasta.
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 225g chestnut mushrooms, sliced and halved
- 3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (approx 1 tsp)
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 3 x 200g sirloin or rump steaks, trimmed and cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 325 ml beef stock
- 50 ml brandy
- Worcestershire sauce (as preferred)
- 100g creme fraiche (half-fat if you like)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- STEP 1Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion for 4-5 mins, stirring regularly, until they start to soften.
- STEP 2Add the mushrooms, sage and paprika, and continue to cook for 5 mins until they begin to wilt. Tip into a medium bowl and set aside,.
- STEP 3Return the frying pan to a high heat with the remaining teaspoon of oil and fry the steak pieces for 2-3 mins, or until they are brown on both sides. Tip them into the bowl with the mushroom mix.
- STEP 4Reduce to a lower heat and add the stock, brandy and Worcestershire sauce. Scrape off any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon and mix in to add flavour.
- STEP 5Season with salt and pepper and leave the liquid to simmer and reduce for about 3-4 mins.
- STEP 6Reduce the heat to a medium heat and return the mushroom and meat mixture. Simmer for 2-3 mins to heat through and add the creme fraiche.
- STEP 7Cook for a further minute, stirring. Season as desired, add the parsley and serve.