Penne with sage and mushrooms
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A simple pasta dish
- 1 whole garlic head
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 350ml water
- 15g dried wild mushroom blend
- 220g wholewheat penne pasta
- 30g fresh sage leaves
- 300g sliced cremini mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 225ml chicken stock
- 60g grated parmesan cheese
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- STEP 2Cut top off garlic head. Place in a small baking dish and drizzle with 1tbsp oil, cover with foil and bake for 45mins.
- STEP 3Remove dish from oven. Add 120ml boiling water to the dish, cover and let stand for 30mins. Separate the cloves and squeeze to extract the garlic into water. Discard skins. Mash garlic mixture with a fork and set aside.
- STEP 4Combine remaining water and dried mushrooms in a bowl. Cover and let stand for 30mins. Rinse, drain and roughly chop. Set aside.
- STEP 5Boil pasta. Heat remaining 2tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sage, sauté for 1min until crisp and browned. Remove and set aside. Add cremini mushrooms and seasoning and sauté for 4mins. Add garlic, chopped mushrooms and stock to the pan and cook for 5mins or until half the liquid is reduced.
- STEP 6Add half the cheese and pasta and stir well. Cover and let stand for 5mins. Serve with remaining cheese and sage leaves.