Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beetroot and Orange Brownies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
Here’s an improvement on the classic beetroot brownie recipe on BBC Good Food. The orange wonderfully compliments the chocolate and masks the beetroot flavour. It is also egg free!
- 3 medium whole raw beetroot
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 apples
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 25g cocoa powder
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Cointreau
- Lemon juice (up to 1 tbsp)
- STEP 1Line a 20x20cm baking tray with baking paper. Heat the oven to 180/160 degrees fan. Wearing gloves, to avoid staining your hands, peel, top and tail and quarter the beetroot. Blitz it in a food processor, while it’s still raw. You’re aiming for fine, very small pieces.
- STEP 2Pour the beetroot into a large saucepan with the chocolate and butter. Gently heat to melt the chocolate and butter. Stir the mix as you go and let it begin to simmer.
- STEP 3Turn off the heat and stir in the orange zest, sugar and Cointreau.
- STEP 4Peel, core and quarter the apples. You may want to use lemon juice on the apples while you do this to keep them from going brown. Blitz in a food processor until you make a purée.
- STEP 5Add the apple purée to the beetroot mix.
- STEP 6Sieve the flour into a separate bowl, along with the baking powder and the cocoa powder.
- STEP 7Stir the dry ingredients in with the beetroot mix. Pour it all into the prepared baking tin. Bake for 40-45mins.