- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g chopped onions
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1.5 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinammon
- 1.5kg lamb shoulder, cut into 4cm chunks
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 kg tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or 2 x 400g cans)
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 160c/Gas mark 2. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole and add the garlic, ginger and spices. Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook over a low heat with lid on for 10 minutes until onions have softened.
- STEP 2Add the lamb along with the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and honey. Bring to a simmer, replace the lid and place the casserole in the oven for 2 hours.
- STEP 3Remove the lid and continue cooking in the oven for a further 30 minutes until the tagine has thickened and the meat is tender. Season to taste and serve with couscous.