- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This is a healthy alternative to Carbonara using natural yogurt and smoked streaky bacon
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
- 15g Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Juice of a Lemon
- Wholewheat Spaghetti
- 1 rasher smoked streaky bacon
- 1 large free-range egg
- 100g fat-free natural yoghurt
- Olive oil
- STEP 1Put a pan of boiling salted water on the heat for your pasta and set aside, leaving the pan on the heat.Using a processor peel and drop in the garlic, a pinch of sea salt, the basil leaves, the finely grated Parmesan and the lemon juice.
- STEP 2Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.Meanwhile, very finely slice the bacon and fry slowly in the frying pan with 1 teaspoon of oil on a medium-low heat until golden and crispy, then use a slotted spoon to transfer to kitchen paper, so the flavour-some fat stays in the pan. Then add the blended mixture to the heat through.
- STEP 3Whisk the egg and yoghurt together well.When the pasta’s done, reserving a mugful of cooking water, drain the pasta and toss straight into the pan, mixing well, then take the pan off the heat (this is very important, otherwise the egg will scramble when you add it, and we don’t want that).
- STEP 4Pour in the egg mixture and toss until evenly coated, silky and creamy, loosening with cooking water if needed.Taste and season to perfection, with the crispy bacon.