Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Dutch Poffertjes (baby pancakes)
- Preparation and cooking time
- 1 hour to let the mixture rest
- Serves 4
Otherwise known as poffertjes, these baby pancake puffs are traditionally served with melted butter and sieved powdered sugar. Perfect for Sunday brunch, a lazy lunch or dessert.
- 1 level tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (100 g)
- 1 cup flour (100 g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk (250 ml)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Good quality butter and powdered sugar to serve
- STEP 1In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk. In a separate bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, flour, eggs, yeast, sugar, salt and half the milk. Whisk smooth. Now add the remaining milk and beat again. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest for an hour.
- STEP 2Melt butter in a frying pan. When it sizzles, add teaspoonfuls of the batter in circular movements to create the mini pancakes. Turn the poffertjes around as soon as the bottom has set, using two forks.
- STEP 3Serve Pancake Puffs with the best quality butter you can find and sieved powdered (icing) sugar.