Lighter Chicken Pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A yummy, warming chicken pie for those of us conscious of the calories! Serve with broccoli and garden peas.
- 300g Chicken Breast, cut into cubes
- 2 Rashers Unsmoked Bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 450ml Chicken Stock
- 1tbsp Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 1tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1/4tsp Pepper
- 1 Packet or Pre-Rolled, Lighter Puff Pastry
- Fry-Light Oil (to glaze the top of the pastry)
- 1tbsp plain flour
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- STEP 2Fry the bacon in a saucepan over a medium heat until almost crisp. Add the carrot and the leek and saute for around 3 minutes. Then, add the chicken and continue for saute until lightly browned. Add the flour, salt and pepper and stir frequently for 1 minute.
- STEP 3Slowly add the chicken stock, milk and dijon mustard to the pan and bring to the boil, along with the milk. Stir until thickened. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish, ceramic baking dish or individual ramekins (if making individual pies). Top with the puff pastry, cut to fit the top of the dish. Fold the pastry slightly over the edge of the dish.
- STEP 4Spray the top of the pie with a few spritz of Fry-Light Oil. Cut small slits in the pastry dough to allow the steam to be released during cooking. Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the pie crust is golden. Leave to stand for 10 minutes and serve with peas and broccoli.