Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Hot pork and potato stew
- 600g lean pork shoulder, skin removed and cut into chunks
- Spice paste: 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of coriander seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 dried kashmiri chillies
- 1 tsp of black peppercorns
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp of vinegar
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- Sauce: 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- ½ tsp of sugar
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 3cm cubes
- STEP 1Create the spice paste by grinding all the spices to a fine powder.
- STEP 2Place the spices into a blender with the onions, garlic, ginger, vinegar and a splash of water then blend to make a paste.
- STEP 3Put the meat into a bowl and sprinkle with half a teaspoon of turmeric, salt and two tablespoons of the spice paste.
- STEP 4Mix this all together so all the meat is coated. Cover and leave to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- STEP 5Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop add the remaining spice paste and cook to brown the paste until fragrant.
- STEP 6Add the marinated meat and stir-fry for a few minutes. Reduce the heat and cover the dish and let the pork simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- STEP 7Add the sugar and the chopped potatoes then reduce the heat and leave to cook on a gentle heat for about 30 to 40 minutes until the meat is tender and the potatoes are soft.
- STEP 8Check while it is cooking and add a splash of water if and when required.
- STEP 9The final dish should be delicious with the sauce clinging to the meat. Check the seasoning and adjust if required.