Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cooking time based on slow cooker set to low. If you're in a rush, 3 to 4 hours on high
- Serves 4
A warm and comforting winter stew. Easy prep.
- 4 to 6 chicken thighs according to size
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 4 medium potatoes
- 80g of Broth or Stew Mix (pearl barley split peas red split lentils marrowfat peas)
- Handful of chopped herbs (parsley thyme plus rosemary if you like it)
- 4 Bay leaves folded and bruised
- Half a cup of white wine to deglaze pan
- 1 Ltr good quality chicken stock
- STEP 1Chop carrots, onion and garlic and add to medium hot pan with a little oil for 5 minutes, add diced potatoes and herbs and cook for another 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- STEP 2Brown chicken in frying pan or skillet and remove skins if preferred. Add to slow cooker. Add wine to pan to deglaze. Reduce and add to slow cooker.
- STEP 3Add the bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste then barley, broth mix and stock . Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on low 8 hours. Serve with crusty fresh bread and salted butter.