Red velvet cupcakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 20
- 120g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 250g self raising flour
- 5 Tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180c/ gas mark 4/ fan assisted 160c. Grease two 12 cup muffin tins or line with 20 paper cases.
- STEP 2In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer/ whisk until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, red food colouring and vanilla. Stir in bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt; stir into the mixture just until blended. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake cases, dividing evenly.
- STEP 3Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Ice the cupcakes with whatever icing you please and enjoy.