Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Red Lentils Indian Stylee
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
A delicious, healthy, low fat vegetarian dish using lentils, garlic, cumin and ginger. Can be frozen.
- 250g to Red Lentils
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped (frozen works fine)
- 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds
- 1 dst sp of Ginger, finely grated (can use easy ginger from a jar)
- 1 x 450g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Dollop of tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (doesn't need to be fresh)
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander (optional)
- Sliced fried mushrooms to top (optional)
- STEP 1Put lentils in saucepan with the grated ginger and add enough water to just cover. Bring to boil and simmer for 45 mins.
- STEP 2Once lentils are almost cooked, heat the oil and gently fry cumin seeds (in a large enough frying pan to accomodate the lentils once cooked) for a minute then add chopped onion and cook until onion is softened. Once onion is softened add garlic and cook for a further minute (add at this stage to avoid burning and becoming bitter).
- STEP 3When lentils are cooked add to the onions (no need to drain) together with the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- STEP 4Continue to cook until the dish reaches a consistency you are happy with (it can tend to look a bit sloppy but don't worry it doesn't affect the taste and 'firms up' if frozen). Stir in chopped coriander and top with fried mushrooms if using.