Cheese And Chive Scones
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 12
Perfect for mini nibbles or tea party.
- 3 1/2 cups Self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 60g Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Chives
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2/3 cup Grated Cheese
- Extra Milk, For Brushing
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced and grease a baking tray.
- STEP 2Place flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter. Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- STEP 3Make a well in the centre. Add milk, chives, dried herbs and 3/4 of the cheese. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until dough almost comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- STEP 4Knead gently until dough comes together. Press out to a 3cm-thick round. Dip a 6cm round cutter into flour. Cut out scones. Gently press leftover dough pieces together and repeat to make a total 12 scones.
- STEP 5Place scones, just touching, in prepared pan. Brush with extra milk. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden and hollow when tapped on top.