- Preparation and cooking time
- per 4 pikelets
- Makes about 24 pikelets
A Welsh take on American pancakes.
- 8oz of self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level tsp cream of tartar
- 3oz of caster sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 pint of sour milk (if using fresh milk, double amount of cream of tartar)
- STEP 1Sieve the dry ingredients, then add sugar. Mix with the milk and eggs until a thick batter is formed.
- STEP 2Place tablespoon of batter onto a hot greased griddle. Do this for each pikelet. Keep at a steady heat. Turn pikelet when bubbles appear and burst.
- STEP 3When cooked, cover with a dry cloth. Though they are nice on their own, they are best served with jam and cream or just butter.