Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Cheese and onion pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Mashed potato mixed with finely diced veg, topped with grated Cheddar then baked in the oven.
- 600g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 100g green beans, trimmed and finely diced
- 3 large onions, peeled and finely diced
- 3 eggs
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 200g low fat cottage cheese with onions and chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 110g cheddar cheese, grated
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- STEP 1Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover well. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until tender when pierced with a skewer, about 20-25 mins
- STEP 2Boil the carrots and green beans in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 mins. Drain and set aside.
- STEP 3Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir fry for 10-12 mins until softened.
- STEP 4Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 4. Spray a medium-sized pie dish with low calorie cooking spray.
- STEP 5Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- STEP 6In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, dried parsley and cottage cheese. Add to the potatoes, stir to mix well and season to taste. Add the reserved vegetables and onion mixture to the potatoes and stir well again.
- STEP 7Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle over the cheese and bake for about 35-45 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.