bacon, Leek And Sweetcorn Pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Very filling dish but also very tasty too. A mixture of bacon,leek and sweetcorn in a rich cheese sauce, topped with mash potato and liberally sprinkled with cheese and crisps yummy
- 1 Packet of bacon pieces
- 4 Leeks
- 1 Tin Sweetcorn
- 1 pint of milk
- 1ÃÂ½ oz of plain flour
- 1ÃÂ½ oz of butter
- 2 oz of grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 oz of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2lb potatoes
- STEP 1Method
- STEP 2Grill bacon till nice and crispy,
- STEP 3peel and quarter potatoes and boil till cooked.
- STEP 4Clean and slice the leeks, place in pan with a little butter and cook on low heat till soft, then add the sweetcorn. Once bacon is cooked add this to the pan and set aside.
- STEP 5Melt the butter over a gentle heat in a medium sized saucepan.
- STEP 6Add the flour and mix together to form a smooth paste and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- STEP 7Very slowly, add the milk, a little at a time, whilst continuously whisking or stirring with a wooden spoon.
- STEP 8Continue to stir or whisk and cook over a medium - high heat until the sauce starts to thicken and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
- STEP 9Add the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and stir until the cheeses melt.
- STEP 10Add the cayenne pepper and then season with salt and freshly milled black pepper, cook gently for a few more minutes.
- STEP 11Pour over the bacon leek and sweetcorn and mix, place in large shallow dish.
- STEP 12Mash up potato till smooth then place on mixture spread evenly all over the dish.
- STEP 13crunch up 1-2 bags of ready salted crisps and mix with cheese
- STEP 14(any cheese of your choice)
- STEP 15Place in oven for about 45 mins a medium oven or untill top is golden and brown