Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Colman's Broccoli Macaroni
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A cheesy household favourite, very quick to prepare and easy to cook. This recipe is based on the use of Colman's Cheddar Sauce. If you don't have that particular sauce, there are lots of ways to whip up a quick cheese sauce.
- 150g Macaroni (based on 75g per person)
- 2 handfuls of trimmed Broccoli
- 100g Frozen Peas
- Colman's Cheddar Cheese Sauce, or equivalent
- 300ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- Grated cheddar cheese, to top it off
- STEP 1Trim the broccoli by removing from the base stem and removing any leaves attached. Always leave a decent amount of stem on each head of broccoli; they're really good for you and tasty. You'll need 3 saucepans for this recipe, so 3/4 fill the first saucepan with cold water (enough to cover the broccoli) and bring it to the boil. Add the broccoli to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. All of the other cooking will be done within this 20 minutes as well.
- STEP 2After 8 minutes, bring the 2nd saucepan of water to the boil and add the macaroni. Reduce to simmer and stir occasionally. This will take 10-11 minutes. After another 5 minutes, add your peas to the same saucepan as your pasta and turn it to a medium heat.
- STEP 3Now take the 3rd saucepan, add your Colman's mixture and the milk and simmer for the remaining time. Stir this mixture constantly, as it will boil over very quickly and you need to remove all of the lumps.
- STEP 4Once the 20 minutes is finished, drain the peas and pasta and cool down the largest of your saucepans by running it under the cold tap for a couple of seconds. Add the peas and pasta to the saucepan. Drain the broccoli and carefully cut it up into small pieces. Add the broccoli and the cheese sauce to the saucepan and mix it all together thoroughly.