Member recipe by imicola
A version of coleslaw using young red russian kale that is easily adapted by adding other veg.
- A bunch of Red Russian kale leaves (don't try this with any other varieties)
- Half a pointed cabbage
- Quarter of a red cabbage
- One small (or half a large) onion
- A couple of handfuls of sultanas
- A handful of flaked almonds
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- cold water
- Wash and dry the kale and cabbage
- Chop the kale up into small pieces, and thinly slice the pointed and red cabbage to make long thin strips. Put these all in a large bowl
- Thinly slice the onion and add this to the kale and cabbage, then toss in the sultanas and flaked almonds
- In a jug, whisk the mayonnaise and mustard together, then whisk in the vinegar a little at a time, and then the oil a little at a time. Whisk in a little cold water to get the consistency of single cream.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well before serving. Goes well alongside steak, or burgers (or anything really).