Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Easy minestrone soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
A simple tasty soup that needs no blending. Great for using up spare vegetables. You can add chopped bacon to make it more meaty, or use vegetable stock to make it vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1.2 litres chicken stock, made from stock cubes
- 400g tin cannellini or mixed beans, drained
- 100g dried spaghetti, broken into 2cm lengths
- 50g kale or cabbage, finely chopped
- STEP 1Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened.
- STEP 2Add the garlic and chill (and bacon if using) and fry for another minute. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- STEP 3Add the tomatoes and stock. Cover with a lid and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- STEP 4Add the beans and pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked. Add the kale/cabbage and cook for another 2 minutes. Add some hot water if necessary to reach your preferred consistency. Season to taste.