Pizza tomato sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes enough for several large pizzas
A simple and tasty tomato sauce for pizza topping but also a useful base for various dishes.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small bunch fresh basil (remove stalks)
- olive oil
- 400 g good-quality tinned tomatoes
- sea salt & ground black pepper
- STEP 1Peel and finely slice the garlic. Heat a saucepan on a medium-low heat and add a splash of olive oil and the garlic. Cook gently until the garlic starts to turn golden.
- STEP 2Next add most of the basil leaves, the tomatoes, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook gently for around 20 minutes, or until smooth, mashing the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- STEP 3When done, have a little taste, and season again if needed.