caramelised onion chutney
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Jars
- got the basic recipe from an old magazine, made a few adjustments and.... yummy Its great with cold meats, and if you stir a spoonfull into gravy it wonderful.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3lb cooking Onions
- 10 oz dark brown sugar
- 7 fl oz malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- pinch each - salt, paprika
- 1 small chilli
- STEP 1Peel and slice onions very thinly.
- STEP 2Heat oil in large pan and very gently soften the onions, don't let them brown.
- STEP 3Add 3tbsp of the sugar and turn up heat to cooler onions.
- STEP 4Add rest of sugar and remain ingredients
- STEP 5simmer for 15 mins to reduce and the mixture turns thick and a dark carmal colour.
- STEP 6spoon into jars ( about 3 one pound jars ), and leave for a month or two.