Cheese and Onion Pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
This recipe was originally passed on to my Dad by his canteen cook at work. It was a firm family favourite with us and Mum gave me the recipe when I left home. The most important thing to do is make sure you use organic onions and extra mature cheddar, these two ingredients will give you the best flavour and make it something you want to do again and again. The method is very simple so anyone can make it.
- 500g shortcrust pastry, I used shop bought
- 1 large organic onion
- 250g potato
- 200ml milk
- 250g grated extra mature cheddar
- 1 rounded tsp mustard dry/readymade
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a 9" pie dish. Rub oil over whole of the inside of the dish, bottom and sides. Roll out the pastry to fit then place in the tin. Flatten pastry into bottom and sides thoroughly. With excess pastry over the sides take a rolling pin and roll over the edge of the dish to get a lovely neat edge and remove the excess. Prick the bottom with a fork all over.
- STEP 2Peel potatoes, chop into quarters and boil until just soft. Drain and allow to dry a bit.
- STEP 3Slice the onions and add to a large mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Add potatoes and mash into the mix with a knob of butter.
- STEP 4Fill the pastry case and level out. Place in the oven for at least 40 mins check the bottom of the pie if the pastry is evenly golden it is ready. If not pop back in for 5 mins at a time and keep checking until done.