- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Easy vegetarian chilli made with mushrooms, lentils and beans.
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 punnet button mushrooms
- 1 punnet shiitake mushrooms
- 500g red kidney beans or black beans
- 500g green lentils
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 2 chilli peppers
- Tomato & basil passata
- Herbs & spices (black pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, hot chilli powder & basil)
- Garlic oil
- 4 small sweet potatoes, baked (to serve)
- STEP 1Heat some garlic oil in a hot saucepan, finely chop the onion and fry until slightly browned.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, chop the red pepper and chilli peppers and crush the garlic. Add to the pan along with cumin, smoked paprika and hot chilli powder.
- STEP 3Chop the button mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms. Add to the pan and gently fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the passata and basil and some black pepper and lower the heat. Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- STEP 4Once the sauce has thickened, add the lentils and beans to the pan and simmer for 5-10 until softened. Serve with the baked sweet potatoes, or alternatively some bulgar wheat and quinoa or brown rice.