- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 16 - 24 scones
Best with butter
- 500g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 110g butter
- 75g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 300ml milk
- 2 tsp of Mustard Powder
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- STEP 2Mix together the flour, salt and mustard powder and rub in the butter.
- STEP 3Stir in the cheese and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- STEP 4Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- STEP 5Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.