Strawberries and Cream Cake
Member recipe by hkugele88
An indulgent and deliciously moist sponge cake with freshly whipped cream and strawberries.
- For the Sponge
- 175g of Caster Sugar
- 175g of Stork
- 3 eggs
- 175g of Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1stp of Baking powder
- 1tsp of White Vinegar
- For the Filling
- 1 Punnet of Strawberries
- 300ml Whipping Cream
- For the Topping
- 75g Icing Sugar
- In a large mixing bowl cream the sugar and stork until the mixture is pale in colour.
- Next, one at a time mix in the the three eggs.
- Sieve half of the flour into the mixture and fold in using a metal spoon. Once the flour has been folded in sieve the remaining flour and fold into the mixture.
- In a small cup combine the baking soda, baking powder and white vinegar so that it fizzes then pour and stir into the mixture.
- Split the mixture between two sandwich tins and bake for 30-35 minutes in the oven at 130c until golden in colour and the sponge springs back when lightly tapped.
- Allow the cakes to cool slightly and then remove from the tins and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled you can begin to make the filling by whipping the cream until it holds it shape.
- Position one of the cakes on a board or cake stand and smother the top with 3/4 of the whipped cream.
- Slice the strawberries and arrange them on top of the cream in a circular fashion and place the remaining cream on top of the strawberries.
- Next sandwich the two cakes together and mix up the icing sugar using a little warm water. Drizzle the icing over the top of the cake and arrange any remaining strawberries on top to finish.