Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Slow cooked soy chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Slow cooked chicken thighs with soy
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 to 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped scallions and cooked white rice, for serving
- STEP 1Coat the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and add the chicken thighs.
- STEP 2In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oregano, pepper flakes, garlic and ginger and pour over the chicken.
- STEP 3Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 5 to 6 hours. Turn off the heat, uncover and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- STEP 4The chicken and sauce can be served as-is or, for a thicker sauce, remove the chicken and set aside, covered, to keep warm, then turn the slow cooker to high.
- STEP 5Stir the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water together until it resembles heavy cream. Pour the mixture into the sauce, cover and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling, about 30 minutes. (The mixture must come to a boil to activate the starch and thicken the sauce.) Return the chicken back to the sauce and heat the chicken through, about 5 minutes.
- STEP 6Transfer the chicken and sauce to a platter, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and scallions and serve hot with rice.