Veggie Cottage pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A tomato based vegetarian cottage pie
- vegetable stock cube
- milk for mash
- 6 Large potatoes
- 2 cans of mixed beans in tomato sauce
- Two jars of pasta sauce of your choice
- Courgette cut up small
- 1/2 mushroom cut very small
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 Red pepper cut small
- 2 onions cut rough
- Oil for frying
- STEP 1Peel the potato and cut into squares whilst a pan of water is boiling. When the water is boiled, add the potatoes. Simmer until they are soft enough to mash.
- STEP 2Whilst waiting for the potatoes, fry together the onion, pepper, courgette, mushroom and carrot. When they are soft add the tomato sauce, the veg stock cube and the beans and simmer for 20 mins.
- STEP 3When the potatoes are finished, drain them and place back into the empty pan. Add the milk and butter and mash until no lumps.
- STEP 4In a rectangular dish, add the veg and beans and then top with mash. Mark the top of the mash with the back of your fork. Place under a grill until the mash is browned on top.