- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
Delicious, easy to prepare and quite yummy.
- 2-3 cups Basmati rice (brown if preferred). Washed until water runs clear.
- 1 tin (400g chopped tomatoes), 2 large tomatoes, 2 tbs tomato paste & 2 onions.
- Optional- 3 tbsp crayfish, 1 tbs curry powder.
- 6-7 Maggie cubes.
- 6-8 tbs extra virgin olive oil.
- Optional; mushrooms(chopped) and 400g of mixed chopped vegetables, pumpkin or/and other edible seeds.
- 1/2-1 scotch bonnet pepper (seeds removed).
- Salt to taste.
- Optional- 400g of chicken.
- Foil to cover pan.
- Boiling water
- STEP 1Step A 1. Add 4 tbs oil to pan to heat- fry chicken until brown. Remove. 2. Blend smooth-onions, scotch bonnet peppers, tomato-tinned, paste and fresh. 3.Add half blended mixture to pan. 4. Add crayfish,curry powder cubes and blend. Add to pan and continue stirring as the smooth mixture is frying. (Expect the tomato 'soup' to be bubbling so lower as needed to avoid splashing.) Continue frying until the water has disappeared from the 'soup'
- STEP 2Step B 1. Add washed and drained rice. Continue stirring slowly until rice begins 'fry' with oil. 2. Taste mixture then add salt to taste.
- STEP 3Step C 1. Add boiling water until it covers the mixture. Stir slowly as not to break up the rice. 2. Bring to boil. 3. Add the vegetables ,seeds, remaining oil and meat.
- STEP 4Step D 1. Seal pan with foil and place lid. Boil vigorously for three minutes to build the steam up and lower heat to the lowest. 2. Cook for 12-20 minutes, depending how 'al dente' you want your rice to be. NB: Be careful as you remove the foil as there will be steam trapped in the pot and remove from fire before rice gets too soft. 3. Fluff up with a fork. 4 Serve with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, white cabbage and a pitcher of water.