Cajun chicken and green bean pesto pasta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Simple and quick to make with very little prep time, this is a perfect weekday meal that is bursting with flavour. The leftovers make a great next-day lunch when re-heated too.
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- 1 and a half tablespoons of cajun spice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 250g - 300g chicket fillets, cubed
- A handful of fresh green beans, tops cut off
- 2 and a half heaped tablespoons of basil pesto
- 250g penne pasta
- 50g feta cheese
- Salt & ground black pepper
- STEP 1Start cooking the pasta in a saucepan of salted water according to the packet instructions.
- STEP 2In a heavy skillet or frying pan, heat the butter and oil on medium to high heat. Add the garlic, and fry for about 30 seconds.
- STEP 3Add the chicken cubes. Add the cajun spice and a few twists of ground pepper and stir the chicken to coat. Cook for about a minute, or until the chicken turns white.
- STEP 4Add the green beans and stir fry for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is very brown on the outside and the beans darken in colour. You will want to end up with a fairly dry pan as the oil and butter cooks away. (It might look like the chicken is overdone, but because of the high heat the chicken is sealed with amazing flavour and the inside should be done perfectly.)
- STEP 5In the last minute of cooking, add the lemon juice and coat.
- STEP 6Drain the cooked pasta and turn back into the saucepan while it is still hot. Add the chicken & beans and the pesto. Toss well to coat.
- STEP 7Serve with the feta crumbled evenly over each serving.