- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 10
- 500 gr ground beef or lamb
- 120 gr ground or finely chopped fat
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 2 tablespoons merguez spice mix
- 2 to 3 teaspoons harissa
- STEP 1Merguez mix 1/4 cup sweet paprika 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds 2 tablespoons ground cumin 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds 2 tablespoons salt 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 3/4 teaspoon black pepper ------------------------- 4 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional) Preparation: Measure all ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Sift once, stir again and transfer to an airtight container for storage.
- STEP 2Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, kneading the mixture well to evenly distribute the spices, herbs and harissa. Shape as desired. (Alternatively, you can pass the ingredients through a meat grinder and feed the merguez into sausage casings.) For best flavor, allow the merguez to sit for 30 minutes (or longer in the fridge) before cooking.