Caprese-Style Chicken Breasts
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Nice served with green vegetables or a salad.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (8oz each), sliced in half crosswise, yielding 4 pieces
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced into 8 slices each
- 2 oz. part-skim mozzarella, shredded (can use any other cheese)
- 2 oz. fresh basil, finely chopped
- STEP 1Season chicken with salt & pepper. Heat olive oil in a large, wide, oven-proof pan over medium heat.
- STEP 2Add garlic & chicken. Cook chicken 5 minutes per side, turning once, or until no longer pink.
- STEP 3Sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes over the chicken, and sprinkle lemon juice over the top. Preheat grill.
- STEP 4Top each piece of chicken with 4 tomato slices and 1/4 of mozzarella. Place under grill and grill until cheese is golden (about 3 minutes).
- STEP 5Remove from grill and top with fresh basil. Serve with desired side dish.