Quick Soda Bread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Basic Irish soda bread
- 250g/9oz plain wholemeal flour
- 250g/9oz plain white flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 420ml/15fl oz buttermilk
- extra flour for dusting
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- STEP 2In a large bowl, mix together the two types of flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- STEP 3Add the buttermilk and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- STEP 4Lightly flour a work surface and tip the dough onto it.
- STEP 5Gently roll and fold the dough a couple of times to bring the mixture together. Do not knead.
- STEP 6Shape the dough into a ball. Flatten the ball gently with your hand. Score the dough with a deep cross dividing it into quarters. Dust the bread with flour.
- STEP 7Place onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 30 minutes at 200C/400F/Gas 6. The loaf should be golden-brown.
- STEP 8Leave to cool on a wire rack. This is best eaten on the day of baking.