Member recipe by gojojo4a
- 1kg stewing steak, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 16 shallots, peeled
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- a handful of chopped fresh parsley
- For the marinade
- 100ml red wine
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinammon stick, broken in half
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 orange, zest finely grated and juiced
- Place the beef in a non-metallic bowl with all the marinade ingredients. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Remove the meat from the bowl, reserving the marinade for later. In a heavy based non-stick pan, brown the beef for 2-4 minutes (in batches if necessary), over a high heat.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and shallots to the pan and stir-fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the reserved marinade and tomatoes. Season well, cover and cook over a low heat for 2 hours, or until the sauce has thickened and the beef is very tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.