Beetroot soup with feta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
a beetroot soup
- 3-4 medium (apple-sized) beetroot (about 500-600g/1lb 2oz-1lb5oz, grated coarsely, or choped into small dice
- 500g/1lb 2oz ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 500ml/16½fl oz good strong stock (beef is best, but chicken or vegetable will do)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g/4oz real (i.e. Greek not Danish) feta cheese
- STEP 1Place the halved tomatoes in an ovenproof dish. Throw over the garlic and drizzle over half the olive oil.
- STEP 2Roast for 25-30 minutes in a fairly hot oven (190C/375F/Gas 5) until soft and pulpy. Rub through a sieve to remove the skin and pips.
- STEP 3Heat the remaining oil in a pan and sweat the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the beetroot and the stock and bring to the boil. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer gently for 7-10 minutes until the beetroot is tender.
- STEP 4Stir in the tomato purée, transfer the soup to a blender and process until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary
- STEP 5To serve cold, chill the soup in the fridge, then divide between six bowls. Using your fingers, crumble a little feta into each bowl. A sprinkling of grated raw beetroot makes a good garnish for the cold version
- STEP 6To serve hot, reheat the soup until thoroughly hot but not boiling. Divide between warm bowls and crumble over a little feta into each bowl. Serve with crusty bread.