- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
This tasty, flavoursome soup is easy to make and will by enjoyed by the whole family. You can add a bit of bacon to the soup, but for vegetarians, leave it out.
- 1/2 oz / 14g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stick of celery, de-strung and sliced
- 1 rasher of bacon, rind removed and diced (optional)
- 1/2 oz / 14g plain flour
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 pints / 704ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- STEP 1Melt the butter in a pan and add the oil. Fry the vegetables and bacon for 5 minutes, but don't let them brown. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- STEP 2Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer gently for 45 minutes. Sieve or liquidize and return to the pan. Check seasoning before serving.