Green beans and Mangetout with Hazelnuts and Orange
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 400g green beans, stalks trimmed
- 400g mangetout (or sugar snaps, that works too)
- 70g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 20g chives, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hazelnut oil (or walnut oil, which is what I used)
- Salt and black pepper
- STEP 1Bring plenty of water to the boil in a large saucepan (you need a lot of space for the veggies, to preserve the colour). Blanch the beans in the water for 4 minutes, the drain them in a colander and run them under tap water until cold. Leave to drain and dry. It is really important to make sure that they get completely cold so that they don’t continue to cook – no-one wants overcooked green beans! Repeat this with the mangetout, but only cook for 1 minute (see above note).
- STEP 2Mix the garlic and chives with the oils, zest and a tbsp or so of orange juice, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the dressing with the green beans and mangetout, and scatter the hazelnuts over the top.