Authentic Durban Chicken Curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Authentic Durban Chicken Curry is a pungent dish comprised of chicken simmered in a spicy gravy. It does not contain any saccharine ingredients. Key ingredients include garamasla, finely chopped onions and tomatoes, curry leaves and coriander.
- 6 chicken pieces cut into smaller portions
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic
- Half cup peas
- 4 medium potatoes quartered
- 2 medium sized onions sliced fine
- 1 teaspoon garamasala
- 1 tablespoon Chicken curry masala or chilli powder of choice
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- desired limit salt (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 6 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 500ml water
- STEP 1Add half teaspoon oil to a heated heavy based pan. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides for a minute or two.
- STEP 2Lower the heat. Remove the chicken from the pan. Add finely chopped onions. Fry for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add remaining oil. Add ginger and garlic.
- STEP 3Add powdered spices. Mix. Braise for 2-3 minutes.
- STEP 4Add half cup water. Mix. Add chopped tomatoes. Mix. Add chicken pieces. Add another cup water. Mix.
- STEP 5Add potatoes and peas. Add salt. Add remaining water. Cover and allow to cook on medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
- STEP 6Serve warm with rice and carrot salad.