Portuguese Peas with Eggs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
My favourite traditional, rustic Portuguese dish full of flavour.
- 1 kg frozen peas
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 spicy Portuguese smoked sausage (chourico), sliced
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 eggs
- small bunch of fresh chopped coriander
- salt and pepper
- 400ml boiling water
- STEP 1In a saucepan, gently fry the onion, garlic, sausage and bay leaf in olive oil, until the onion has softened a little and the sausage has started to release its juices.
- STEP 2Add the frozen peas and 400 ml hot water and season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3Bring to boil, cover pan with a lid and simmer until the peas are cooked - approx 15 minutes.
- STEP 4Remove lid from pan, crack open each egg one by one into the peas mixture. Replace the lid and allow the eggs to poach in the peas mixture until cooked.
- STEP 5Remove from the heat, sprinkle the coriander over and serve, ensuring that each person gets an egg and a few slices of the sausage.
- STEP 6Delicious served with fresh crusty bread.