Homemade Potato Crisps
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 1
Make your own crisps using your microwave! A tasty and easy alternative to bought crisps (not to mention alot cheaper). A mandoline or food processor makes slicing the potato into paper thin slices alot easier.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 washed potato, sliced paper thin (peeling is optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- STEP 1Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic sandwich or freezer bag. Add the potato slices, and toss to coat.
- STEP 2Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish.
- STEP 3Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with salt (or other seasonings). Let cool. Repeat process with the remaining potato slices. You will not need to keep oiling the plate.
- STEP 4If you want salt and vinegar; soak the raw potatoes in vinegar (cider/malt/red wine vinegar - all work well and produce different flavours) for 15-20 minutes for the best flavor. The potatoes may start to turn brown, but don't worry - they'll turn brown after they cook anyway.