Member recipe by eloisebutler
For an impressive dessert that works all the time. Excellent for Summer BBQ's.
- 4 egg whites
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar 1 cup
- 1 ½ tsp cornflour
- 1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar (it also works with ordinary malt vinegar)
- For topping:
- 1 carton double or whipping cream
- Fresh fruit (whatever is in season)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and draw an outline of a circle-approx 25cm in diameter.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff then add sugar 1 tsp as a time whisking constantly.
- Blend cornflour and vinegar and whisk into the egg white mixture.
- Spread mixture onto baking tray, create a slightly higher border to the pavlova as it will be easier to pile on the topping.
- Place in oven and reduce heat to 150°C. Bake for 1 hours or until firm to touch.
- Turn off oven and leave inside for another hour with the door slightly ajar. Do not worry if there are cracks-most of these will be covered by the topping.
- Remove paper and transfer to serving plate. When cool, whip cream to soft peaks. Place on top of base and add fruit.