Festive Spice Cookies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 30 minutes plus 4 hours chilling time.
- Makes Cookies
A lovely soft cookie spiced with ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 170g butter, softened
- 70g soft light brown sugar
- 150g honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- a selection of smarties or other coloured chocolate beans, or any other decorations that you want
- STEP 1Sieve the flour, spices and salt together into a bowl and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, then add the honey and beaten egg. Stir to fully combine. Sift in the dry ingredients in a few batches. The mixture will be a bit stiff but still soft and not dry.
- STEP 2Divide the dough into two batches and wrap the halves in cling film. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line several large baking trays with greaseproof paper, or if they are non-stick simply butter them and set aside.
- STEP 4Lightly flour the work surface, then roll out one half of the dough. Stamp out festive trees using a tree-shaped cutter. Lay on the baking sheets with spaces between them, then add on the smarties or other coloured beans.
- STEP 5When you have stamped out enough to fill the tray, place in the oven and bake for 8 - 10 minutes. They want to be golden in colour but still fairly soft as they harden up a little after cooking. Repeat this process until all the mixture has been used up. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.