Spiced Stuffed Aubergine
Member recipe by e_leachums
A simple side dish or vegetarian main course of aubergine stuffed with spiced cous cous
- Half an aubergine
- 5ml olive oil
- 40g cous cous
- 15g sundried tomatoes
- 30g ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
- 20g spring onions, chopped
- 30g edam
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- pinch of cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- vegetable stock
- mint leaves to garnish
- For the side salad
- 1 orange, skinned and finely sliced
- Half a fennel bulb, finely sliced, fluffy ends reserved for garnish
- Squeeze of lime juice
- pinch of onion seeds
- Pour boiling water on the tomatoes and leave to rehydrate. Meanwhile score the flat side of the aubergine and score. Rub in the olive oil and push the garlic into the cuts. Grill under a preheated hot grill until soft (approx 15-20 mins)
- Remove the aubergine and scoop out the flesh leaving a 1 cm thick shell. Place the flesh into a bowl with the cous cous, apricot, spring onions and the rehydrated tomatoes. Cover with hot stock, cover and leave until absorbed (approx 8-10 mins) adding more stock as necessary.
- Pile the filling into the shell and dot with the edam. Return to the grill until the cheese is bubbling.
- Meanwhile, layer the fenel and orange alternating between them, squeeze over lime juice to taste and sprinkle over the onion seeds.
- Garnish the aubergine with torn mint leaves, and the salad with the fennel ends. Serve and ENJOY!