Member recipe by davidnunn1
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Rissoles
- 1 courgette
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 red onion (very finely chopped)
- 1/2 to 1 chilli (depending on personal taste)
- fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 50g gram flour
- oil for frying
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 onoin
- 2 tomatoes (peeled & finely chopped)
- (courgette juice)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- salt & pepper
- 100g Basmati rice
- 250ml water
- Fritters: Coarsely grate courgette and place in colander. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, mix and leave to stand for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, VERY finely chop the onion, add to a bowl with chopped coriander, finely chopped chilli, curry powder, mustard seeds and pepper.
- After the courgette has stood for 1/2 hour, take small handfuls and squeeze as much water out as possible between your hands, retaining the juice in a bowl (used for the sauce later).
- Combine the courgette with the onion etc.
- Start cooking the rice.
- Now the sauce: Finely chop the onion, and fry in some oil in a saucepan. Once they have started to brown, take off the heat and briefly mix in the cumin, coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Return to the heat, stir a few times and then add the chopped tomatoes, fennel seeds and courgette juice. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the gram flour over the fritter ingredients, and combine to form a thick and slightly sticky mass. Take small amounts and form into walnut-sized balls, then press to form small fritter shapes. Place on a floured plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. It will become very sticky as you handle it!
- Just before the rice is done, cook the fritters. Using a small spatula, very carefully place them into some hot oil in a good non-stick frying pan. Cook for a couple of minutes without too much handling (they are quite fragile until cooked). Turn and cook the other side.
- Serving: Spoon the sauce onto individual plates. Place rice in the centre (using a cooking ring to help keep shape if possible). Place three fritters on top of the rice, and garnish with a little fresh coriander. Serve immediately.
- Variation: Mushroom and courgette fritters. Finely chop 100g fresh mushrooms, and fry in some margarine or butter until the liquid has released. Using a sieve, squeeze the mushroom juice into the courgette liquid, and add the mushrooms to the courgette mixture. Cook as above.