Salmon with hot potato salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus about 1 hour cooling
- Serves 2
Moist, spicy salmon, delicious with salad
- 2 boneless fillets of salmon
- Olive oil
- Cajun seasoning
For the salad
- New potatoes [Charlotte or Vivaldi]
- Mayonnaise [regular or low-fat]
- Onions - bunch of spring onions sliced or half a red onion chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh lemon juice
- STEP 1Lightly oil a sheet of foil with olive oil. The foil will be used to wrap the salmon eventually, so it needs to be a generous size.
- STEP 2Press the surface of the salmon into the oil and then turn it over so the skin side is down.
- STEP 3Sprinkle the Cajun spices over the salmon until well covered.
- STEP 4Place foil on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180 degrees.
- STEP 5Remove from oven and immediately draw up the foil to form a sealed 'tent' around the salmon. Leave to become completely cold or leave overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 6To make the hot potato salad:
- STEP 7Simmer the potatoes until tender and then drain and place in a serving bowl.
- STEP 8Cut through roughly with a knife and add chopped onions to taste.
- STEP 9Stir in enough mayonnaise to bring it to a suitable potato salad consistency. Add lemon juice to taste.
- STEP 10Serve while still hot, with the cold salmon.
- STEP 11Salad is also excellent cold the next day and other flavourings such as Dijon or Wholegrain mustard can be added if serving with sausages.